Perfect your soldering skills while making a very useful device: a DDS function generator. A function generator allows you to generate a variety of frequencies, with a variety of waveforms.
- Easy to assemble through hole component kit
- 2x16 LCD display with push button interface
- Two BNC connectors -- low speed and high speed outputs
- Low speed output from 1-65.5535 KHz
- Supports generation of Sine, Square, Sawtooth, Reverse Sawtooth, Triangle, "ECG" and Noise.
- High speed square wave of 1, 2, 4, and 8MHz
- Atmega16 @ 16MHz
- Requires both 5V and 12V power supplies
Theory of Operation
A resistor-resistor network and an LM358N are utilized to generate the lower frequency function generator. Amplitude and offset can be adjusted via two potentiometers. The lower frequency range allows for up to 65535 Hz, perfect for most audio and low frequency testing. In this frequency range, a variety of waveforms are supported.
By hooking your DDS to a speaker or oscilloscope, you can see and hear the waveform and frequencies you select.
The high speed output is somewhat restrictive, and only offers 1, 2, 4, and 8MHz output. This is done by a divider placed on the Atmega16's crystal oscillator frequency.